This Vagabond ...

"The Lord is Good, His Steadfast Love Endures Forever." ~Psalm 100:5

Subscribe
Add to Technorati Favourites
Add to del.icio.us

Friday, August 15, 2008

The Tongue

Posted by Ruth72


Why I choose this topic? Nothing controversial, juz a thought that the tongue is a very important 'tool' that we own and cherish. To cherish our tongue, we have to be cautious of how we move it and wag it (careful with our speech, that is). Afterall, we have only one tongue.
Some people even pierce their tongues...for styles maybe, even pleasure and way of life.. but to me it must be sheer painful, so no thanks. I can't even begin to think of how I'd eat and drink or brush my teeth and even talk with something (a foreign matter) being stucked on the surface of my precious tongue.

We can sing and talk and express ourselves because of our tongues, among others. When I was a little girl, I used to stick out my tongue at my big brother who was a terrible teaser. He made me cry often, and got all the fun from it by himself (by the way, he's now a very gentle and responsible 39 year-old dad to 4 children, who scolds his children for being naughty...hello???).

My tongue also endows me with a very 'kampung' taste bud. I eat raw chilly to accompany my food and dishes such as sambal belacan, tapioca leaves, bamboo shoots, dayak mustard (ensabi), petai, cencaluk... hahaha, and the list goes on. Yes, I have a taste for bitter/bittersweet food. 'Town' food don't fancy me that much. As a little girl, I ate a lot. I was and still am not a choosy type, I ate whatever was set on the table, even when it means salt & chilly blended together. Being born in a poor family and lived such a modest life in the 80s, I had nothing much to complain and couldn't afford to be selective. (There are 8 of us, and my dad's salary was only one quarter of my current salary. But quite amazingly, he managed to put us all through school, altho' he couldn't afford to accomodate us higher levels. Even then, we're most grateful. Thanks dad).

So....the tongue. We use it for all kinds of purpose. Now, I'd like to remind myself of the danger of misuse of the tongue. I myself tend to forget it, and struggling to remember the implication of the words we use in our daily lives. So here goes:

“ A slip of the foot you may soon recover,
but a slip of the tongue you may never
get over” – Franklin.

“ If anyone considers himself religious
and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue,
he deceives himself and his religion is worthless”
- James 1:26

So if you love yourself, please love your tongue and careful not to utter careless words which can hurt yourself and others.

0 comments: